What was the very first record you bought?
Kiss – Dynasty
What is the most expensive record you have bought?
Metallica – Fucking Nuts; a double vinyl bootleg of their 1984 Aardschokdag gig. Cost five times as much as a standard vinyl double live album even then, and sounded five times worse than a standard double live album, haha. Still, it was magical to listen to and I still own it.
What are your 5 very favorite bands ever?
The God Machine
Name 5 bands that have changed your life?
All of the above, plus Rush, Tool, The Sisters Of Mercy and Fields of the Nephilim. That makes nine. Sorry, not sorry for disobeying the rules. I should actually list ninety bands and I’d still come up short, as they all had an influence on my, both as a person and as a musician.
Name your 3 favorite Gothic Fests?
Porta Nigra (Belgium – Germany)
Wave Gotik Treffen, Leipzig, Germany
Any Goth gig in Athens, Greece, where fans are FANS
Name your 3 favorite gigs as a musician and as fan?
As a fan:
– Roger Waters’ The Wall, Werchter, Belgium, July 20 2013
– David Gilmour, Tienen, Belgium, July 27 2016
– Metallica, Metal Hammer Festival, Loreley Freilichtbühne, St. Goarshausen, Germany, September 22 1986
As a musician:
– XIII Revoltallo Festival, Vigo, Spain, August 14 2006, with Ancient Rites, because it had the best and craziest audience I’ve ever had the privilege of playing for and it was organised (and organised well) at the most beautiful location I’ve ever played.
– Graspop Metal Meeting,Dessel, Belgium, June 26 2006, with Ancient Rites, because it was the largest and loudest crowd I’ve ever played for.
– 22nd Movement, Lido, Leuven, Belgium, September 22 2007, Ahrayeph’s very first gig
Name the most 3 influential albums for you as an artist
Metallica : Master Of Puppets
The God Machine – One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying
Marillion – Misplaced Childhood
Describe yourself with 3 adjectives
Misanthropic, sarcastic, autistic
What is the most overrated gothic band?
Unlike a certain ex- bass player of a certain iconic goth rock band, I refuse to publicly speak out against other bands or ridicule other musicians, not even under the cowardly guise of aliases or false e-mail addresses. What matters is that fans like the music of the bands they love; my opinion about other bands or musicians is of no consequence at all.
What is the most underrated gothic band?
Ahrayeph. But then, some call us a prog band, so maybe that’s why we’re almost invisible in the Goth scene. Or maybe I’m deaf and my music just sucks…
In which band would you have liked to play live?
None but my own. Never, ever meet your idols and don’t even entertain the notion of being in a band with them. You’ll end up thoroughly disappointed, trust me.
Name 3 new gothic bands that have caught your attention lately?
Long Night is a really cool band. Beyond that, I have no idea of whatever new goth band out there is ahead of the curve enough for me to listen to. I just sit in my studio and make music without listening to anything else and as such am not a part of any scene.
Gothic Rock or Post Punk and why?
Both. Because in my opinion, musicians, if they’re serious about their craft, have the obligation not to limit themselves to any one genre of music. It leads to creative death.